Your money matters: save on taxes and help others

Your money matters: save on taxes and help others
By: United Way of Porter County Last Updated: February 4, 2020

Retirees IRA charitable rollover donations and other ways to give back

Did you know that taxpayers 70½ years and older are required to take annual distributions from an IRA? These distributions are ultimately subject to taxation. But, there’s a way to save on your taxes and help others, too!

With rollover contributions from your IRA to United Way, you can donate up to $100,000 each year completely tax-free to support the community causes you care about most.

Whether you’re retired now or in the future, this is just one of the many ways you can give back to your community through United Way.

No matter how you give, rest assured that your generous gift will go to good use.

Learn more here.

Free Tax Preparation for Household Incomes of $56,000 or less

Did you earn $56,000 or less in 2019? Do you know someone who did? If so, then take the stress out of taxes this year and utilize our free tax preparation service. 

Thanks to an IRS grant and other generous donations, IRS-certified volunteers can help you file your state and federal tax returns free of charge.

The program exists to provide low-wage earners with limited access to tax filing services, due to cost, the opportunity to receive assistance.

Program appointments are available now through April 13 on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and some Saturdays.

Because of generous donors, like you, services like the above exist to support residents that need them most. We truly appreciate your help providing a strong network of quality education, health and financial stability programs in Northwest Indiana. Change someone’s tomorrow today, give now.