Written by Dr. Debra Dudek, Director of Title and Special Student Programs
It is time to begin to think about students going back to school. For some, this includes most students; it is hard to imagine that summer is almost over as it feels like summer vacation just began. For others, this includes most parents; it is hard to believe that students will not return to school until Aug. 22 as it feels like the summer has been here since March. It has. Portage Schools want you to know one thing:
The Portage Township School System is ready. We are ready with boundless opportunities, excited staff, and squeaky clean buildings.
We are ready with:
- people. Great teachers, great students, great families to support great student outcomes. PTS knows that no matter how much technology is infused in our lives (we have that too), we need great people to make the difference.
- practices that work. We know research-based best practices and will make sure our students benefit from only the best.
- programs that meet the needs of all students. We offer programming for our High Ability Learners, grade- level ready students as well as those that need remediation support. PTS knows that no program is “one size fits all or even most”, so instruction is differentiated to meet each student at their instruction level.
- performance proven district results. Our ISTEP+ and ECA Scores has consistently met or exceeded expectations for the past several years.
- parent involvement opportunities scheduled at each of our 8 elementary schools. These events will provide parent and child with activities and learning connected to literacy and math. Parent involvement opportunities will also be available at each middle school and Portage High School.
- proficient staff from bus drivers, lunch attendants, Para-professionals, and custodial employees. We know that trained staff, clean buildings, well- fed students and a friendly and safe ride to and from school make a difference.
- progressive technology. Improvements include K-12 system wide upgrade to Window 7/MSOffice 2010. Also, starting with our fine arts departments for the 2012-13 school year and following the textbook adoption cycle forward, technology upgrades are planned to include IPADs, E-Readers and digital presenters.
- promise. We want to make sure each and every PTS student has the best possible education. We are poised and ready to make certain that happens. We promise.
- Portage Pride. Pride in our schools and pride in our community. We are dedicated to making a difference as we work to provide students with an outstanding quality education that supports our commitment to continuous improvement.
School Starts Aug. 22.
Please be careful when you drive and look out for PTS kids.
We are ready: for more information please visit the Portage Township Website at www.portage.k12.in.us or contact the individual school. The Portage Central Administration Office can be reached at (219) 762-6511 and will help direct your call.