Eight Purdue students from the university's Latin and Ballroom Dance Team will compete on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" at 8 p.m. Eastern time on Tuesday (May 11).
The team will compete against three other college teams for this season's amateur championship.
The No. 1 rated television show in the nation pairs celebrities with professional ballroom dancers who compete as a couple for judges' scores and viewer votes. One couple is eliminated each week until a champion receives the mirror ball trophy.
Each season the program also stages a competition between amateur dancers, usually child couples. This is the first season to feature college amateurs or team dance competition. If Purdue triumphs in its semifinal competition, the team will move to the finals on May 25 with a new routine.
The team will debut its May 11 routine at a dress rehearsal at 10 p.m. Wednesday (May 5) in Stewart Center, Room 306.
Team members that will appear on "Dancing with the Stars" include:
- Tracy Matz, a junior majoring in visual communication and design from Des Plaines, Ill.
- Josef Conner, a senior majoring in biological sciences from Galveston, Ind.
- Tiffany Lam, a senior majoring in dietetics from Hong Kong and West Lafayette, Ind.
- Kris Ezra, a senior majoring in aeronautics and astronautics from Winamac, Ind.
- Yitian Chen, a senior majoring in pharmaceutical sciences from Moon Township, Pa.
- Lincoln Slentz, a senior majoring in chemistry from Auburn, Ind.
- Dessi Moneva, a sophomore majoring in biochemistry from Greenwood, Ind.
- Sean Lyons, a freshman majoring in management and finance from Naperville, Ill.
The Purdue team was selected after sending in an audition tape to "Dancing with the Stars." The team competes in intercollegiate competitions throughout the year and conducts classes, shows and social dances on or near campus.