Promotion affirms the good in helping to save a life
When asked, many blood donors will say they give blood because of the satisfaction they get from knowing they just helped save a life.
This March, Dunkin’ Donuts joins the American Red Cross in confirming that feeling through a special promotion that asks: “Donut feel good to donate?”
Now through March 31, donors coming to give blood at participating American Red Cross blood drives in the Indiana-Ohio Region will receive a coupon for a free Dunkin’ Donuts donut.
“The good feeling you get from helping to save a life just got better,” said Sharyn Whitman, CEO for the Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region of the American Red Cross. “We’re grateful to Dunkin’ Donuts for building good will through their generous gift to blood donors.”
Through “Donut feel good to donate?” Dunkin’ Donuts joins the Red Cross in celebrating March is Red Cross Month, and in encouraging more people to give blood. Collecting blood during the winter can be challenging since cold and snowy weather can sometimes prevent donors from making and keeping appointments. In early February, for instance, eight American Red Cross blood drives were canceled due to weather, representing nearly 500 blood donations in the Indiana-Ohio Region.
“While weather changes, the need for blood never does,” said Whitman. “In lots of ways, it’s a great feeling to know you have something to give that’s needed year-round.”
All donors at the following American Red Cross blood drives will receive a coupon for a free Dunkin’ Donuts donut:
- Wednesday, March 17, from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. at Ivy Tech Community College in the South Commons Area Rooms 106 and 110, located at 3100 Ivy Tech Drive in Valparaiso. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your blood donation appointment.
- Friday, March 19, from 11:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. at the YMCA of Portage in the aerobics room, located at 3100 Willowcreek Road in Portage. Please e-mail Steve.Beach@porterhealth.com to schedule your blood donation appointment.
- Wednesday, March 24, from 12 noon until 6 p.m. at Valparaiso University in Harre Union Ballrooms B & C, located at 1509 Chapel Drive in Valparaiso. Come to donate and you will be entered into a drawing to win one of three $50 shopping sprees. Visit redcrossblood.org and enter sponsor code “valpo” to schedule your blood donation appointment.
- Wednesday, March 24, from 2 p.m. until 7 p.m. at First Christian Church, located at 1507 Glendale Blvd. in Valparaiso.
- Thursday, March 25, from 2 p.m. until 7 p.m. at St. Mary’s Church in the Fellowship Hall, located at 402 E. Indiana Ave. in Kouts.
- Monday, March 29, from 2 p.m. until 7 p.m. at New Life Wesleyan Church, located at 75 East 1100 North in Chesterton.
How to Donate Blood
To schedule an appointment to donate please call 1 -800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or visit redcrossblood.org for more information. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental permission in some states), meet weight and height requirements (110 pounds or more, depending on their height) and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. Please bring your Red Cross blood donor card or other form of positive ID when you come to donate.
About the American Red Cross
The Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region serves northern and central Indiana and northwestern Ohio, and needs to collect about 500 units of blood a day to meet patient need in more than 60 hospitals. In addition to providing blood to our community, the American Red Cross also provides relief to victims of disaster, trains millions in lifesaving skills, serves as a communication link between U.S. military members and their families, and assists victims of international disasters or conflicts.