Welcome to Cupcake Tuesday! If you are new here, grab a cup of tea or a glass of milk and enjoy a cupcake!
As I’ve mentioned, lots of times before, one of my very favorite flavor combinations is chocolate and cherry. While we were at a mini bonfire over the weekend, someone mentioned Chocolate Covered Cherries, and of course, the first thing I thought of was Cupcakes.
I pulled out my cookbooks and hunted for a recipe, adapted it some, and the final result was delicious!
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes
For the cupcakes…
- 1 box cake mix (I used butter flavor)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (remember I mentioned how I use buttermilk instead of water)
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 small box instant chocolate pudding
- 1 can cherry pie filling
Mix cake mix with buttermilk, eggs and oil. Fold in cherry pie filling. Divide batter into cupcake liners, I use about 1/4 cup per liner. I got 3 dozen out of this recipe.
For the ganache… I used the recipe from Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures
- 1 cup of milk chocolate chips (or semi-sweet)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
Warm up the cream, and pour over the chips, mix well. I turned the cupcakes upside down and simply dipped them in the ganache, and put them in the fridge to set up a little.
For the Cherry Cream Frosting…
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2-3 teaspoons of cherry juice (maraschino cherries)
- 2-3 cups of powdered sugar (depending on how thick you like it)
Cream butter and cream cheese, slowly add powdered sugar and cherry juice until you reach desired consistency. Pipe onto cupcake, I used Wilton #1M tip, which by the way, is my favorite tip.
For the Chocolate Covered Cherry…
- Maraschino Cherries with stems
- Chocolate wafers for melting (like Wilton’s)
Rinse and pat dry cherries, melt chocolate and dip cherries. Place onto wax paper to set up.